Have you just received multiple job offers or decided that an offered job just isn't right for you? Be courteous and officially decline any job offer you are not going to accept. This frees the company from their offer and allows them to offer the job to others. Writing a letter to decline an offer is very easy to do. See our tips and the sample letters below.
Job Offer Rejection Letter Template
Tips for Writing a Job Offer Rejection Letter
- When rejecting a job offer don't burn your bridges. You never know if you might eventually work for the company.
- Be respectful.
- Be prompt in your response, but make sure that there are no hiccups in the acceptance of another job offer.
- Be concise.
- Thank them for taking the time to consider you for a position.
- Provide a reason if possible, especially if you have spent a fair amount of time interviewing, but be objective and professional.
Sample Job Offer Rejection Letters
Sample Job Offer Rejection Letter
2 Heaven Cir
Numbers, New York, 13549
The Number Store
Hiring Coordinator, Human Resources
1 Fiji Way
Numbers, New York, 13549
I really appreciate you taking the time to interview me and consider me for the Assistant Cashier Manager position. I am grateful to you and your staff for how respectfully you treated me and I appreciate you offering me employment.
I was really impressed with The Number Store and everyone there; however, after carefully weighing all my options I have decided not to accept your job offer.
May you and your company have the best of luck and continue being a successful company.
Thank you once again for taking your time to consider me.
- Sample Declining Job Offer Letter (.pdf) - www.scu.edu - This is a short and concise example from Santa Clara University.
- Stanford University - Sample Acceptance/Rejection Letters - studentaffairs.standford.edu - Provides a couple examples of each case.
- Sample Letter Declining a Job Offer - quintcareers.com - Yet another example if you are looking for different ways to word your letter.
- Letter Declining a Job Offer (.pdf) - www.uta.edu - An example from the University of Texas Arlington.
References and Resources
- Purdue - Online Writing Lab - owl.english.purdue.edu - This page talks about just the job rejection letter, what to include in the letter, and provides a sample letter.
- Declining a Job Offer - career.ucsf.edu - A PDF containing additional information on how to properly decline a job offer.
- Declining a Job Offer - mtholyoke.edu - Some good advice about writing a job offer rejection letter.