Gantt Chart Template for Excel
A Gantt chart is a vital tool for any project manager. It helps you create a schedule for your project and track the status of each task. If you use Excel or Google Sheets, you can create a project schedule with almost no learning curve by downloading Vertex42's free Gantt Chart Template.
For complicated project management activities, you may need a tool such as Microsoft Project. But, if you want to create a simple project schedule quickly and easily, you only need basic Excel skills to use this template (such as knowing how to copy and insert rows).
"No installation, no macros - just a simple spreadsheet" - by Jon Wittwer
Easily create and print a project schedule using Excel. Each row of the worksheet represents a separate task. All you need to do is define the start date and duration of each task.
- To add more tasks, you just copy and paste rows.
- To change the range of dates displayed in the chart area, just slide the scroll bar.
- To track the status of a task, edit the % Complete column.
- No Password-Protected Worksheets
- Enter Work Days, Calendar Days, or End Date
- Choose Different Colors for the Bars
- Select a Daily, Weekly, or Monthly View
- Create Task Dependencies Easily
- Exclude Holidays from Work Days
Commercial Gantt Chart Software
There are hundreds of software applications for creating gantt charts and project schedules. Some of the most popular are those that allow easy online collaboration such as SmartSheet.com and ProjectManager.com. And of course there's Microsoft:
- Microsoft Project - products.office.com - Although a bit pricey, this really is the ultimate software for creating gantt charts and project timelines, partly because it is widely used and you can probably find someone in your office that knows how to use it if you have questions.
Other Free Gantt Chart Spreadsheets
- Simple Project Schedule - vertex42.com - This worksheet may be useful if you want to avoid formulas and just want a way to create a stylish project timeline.
- PeltierTech.com - John Peltier explains how to create a gantt chart in Excel using stacked bar graphs.
- hyperthot.com by James Chapman - This page includes a few free gantt chart downloads for Excel that also calculate spend plan. This is done by including labor costs broken down by employee and the number of hours spent on each task.
- CPM / PERT Spreadsheet - vertex42.com - This template includes a gantt chart for critical path analysis.