Job Offer Letter
Have you just found the perfect job applicant for a job you are trying to fill and wondering what to do next? Send them a letter, but not just a note saying "Hey welcome to the company." A job offer letter is a formal letter that an employer will send to someone they have chosen for a job position. It lets the potential new employee know they are hired and provides the details of the job and what the next steps are for the new hire. Continue reading below to learn more about writing a job offer letter and download our free Job Offer Letter Template.
Job Offer Letter Template
Use our template to help you in create your own offer of employment. Be sure to read the tips below, because a job offer letter can be a legally binding document and you want to make sure you do it right.
Tips for Writing a Job Offer Letter
- A Job Offer Letter is a critical document and may be legally binding. If an employer states anything in the job offer and then later does not follow through with what he/she said, then the employee can bring up the letter as a breach of contract.
- Include vital information such as: pay information (bonuses, raises, how often they get paid), holidays, breaks, and benefits. Even if this was all discussed in the interview, put it in the job offer anyway just in case the new hire forgets something from the interview.
- List what still has to be done before the new hire starts and by what day it will need to be completed. This may include paperwork, security checks and drug screening.
- Hire an attorney to review the letter to ensure that everything is crystal clear and that there are no hidden traps written in the letter which may be legally binding.
- Send any other paperwork that needs to be completed before hire with the job offer letter, allowing the new hire a chance to get a head start in their new job.
- Write the letter yourself so that you are familiar with its contents (remembering of course to have it reviewed).
Sample Job Offer Letters
Sample Offer Letter
The Number Store
1 Fiji Way
Numbers, New York, 13549
2 Heaven Cir
Numbers, New York, 13549
The Number Store is happy to extend to you the job as Assistant Cashier Manager. We cannot wait to see your skills put to work for our company.
By accepting this job offer you are eligible to receive the following beginning on your first day of work:
- Salary: $31,000+ or $15.00 an hour for 40 hours a week.
- Bonuses: $1.00 an hour on time bonus ($16 an hour). Sick pay and vacation pay is one half of your hourly wage. End of the year bonus: depends on how long you have been with the company, whether or not you were on time every day, whether or not you finished each 8 hour shift, and how much sick pay and vacation pay you have used up by the end of the year.
- Stock: The option to own stock will be available to you after 90 days with the company and your stock options will depend on your performance.
By accepting this job offer you are eligible to receive the following beginning in 60 days after your first day of work:
- Benefits: We offer a 401K plan, Medical, Dental, and Vision.
By accepting this job offer you are eligible to receive the following beginning 1 year after your first day of work:
- Benefits: Vacation Pay, Sick Pay, and Paid Time Off.
Please send in an acceptance or rejection letter no later than 5 days after the date printed at the top.
If you choose to accept this offer your first day of work will be 11/2/2014.
Please read all of the documents enclosed and have everything signed and ready to go on your first day of work.
Your immediate supervisor will be Stacey Harmons, Cashier Manager. Feel free to call our main office number and ask for Stacey or myself if you have questions.
We hope that you will accept our job offer and that you will feel welcomed at our store.
Hiring Coordinator, Human Resources
The Number Store
More Sample Letters
- Texas Workforce Commission: Sample Job Offer Letter - www.twc.state.tx.us - This website has a sample job offer letter amongst other links that can help with work.
- Job Offer Letters - What They Say and Why They Are Important - go2hr.ca - This website talks about Job Offer Letters with different facts and a sample offer letter of their own.
- University of New Hampshire - Sample Job Offer Letter (.pdf) - www.unh.edu
- Sample Offer Letter from LSU (.pdf) - international.lsu.edu - A sample job offer letter from the office of international programs at Louisiana State University.
References and Resources
- 10 Terms to Look For in Job Offer Letters - forbes.com - This can be a guide for employers on what to make sure is stated very clearly in the letters they send.
- Purpose of Employment Offer Letters - work.chron.com - This page talks about the purpose of the job offer letter and about what is included in an offer letter.
- Sklover Working Wisdom - skloverworkingwisdom.com - This website has an actual case history of someone who had an attorney read over an offer letter they received and was saved a lot of heartache down the road because they had thoroughly read the letter.