Government Resources for Homeowners
It’s common for homeowners to have questions about their homes. Whether it’s in the area of disasters and emergencies, mortgages, rentals, energy information, environment, home improvements, or product recalls, the government offers a lot of great resources to help homeowners. Contacting the various government departments for information is the best choice because they offer the most authoritative and comprehensive instructions or tips on various subjects. Here are the best government resources for homeowners.
Disaster, Fire, Weather & Emergencies
- Family Disaster Plan: Almost everything you ever wanted to know about preparing for a disaster as a family.
- Fire Prevention: The US Fire Administration provides information on arson and fire.
- Disaster Assistance Information: The government's Disaster Assistance website offers disaster assistance, disaster information, foreign disasters, and more.
- Disaster Preparation & Recovery: The NIH offers resources on disaster preparation and recovery with links to more information.
- Natural Disasters and Severe Weather: The CDC offers information on what you should do to prepare and to survive various natural disasters.
- Tornado Safety: A great guide with tornado safety information.
- Lightning Safety: How to reduce lightning risk outdoors.
- Earthquakes: The USGS provides the Earthquake Hazards Program to help people prepare, learn, and monitor earthquakes.
- Storm Prediction Center: The Current Convective Watch provides storm watches across all the states.
Real Estate, Mortgages & Rental Housing
- Fair Housing Act: Study the Fair Housing Act to know your rights to housing in the United States.
- Guide to Fair Lending: The FDIC provides a guideline for homeowners on the issue of fair lending.
- Buying a Home: A great starting point for people who are thinking of buying a home with a lot of useful resources.
- Adjustable Rate Mortgages: The Federal Reserve Board provides a handbook on the topic.
- Mortgages: The USA government site offers a list of links to help home buyers and homeowners learn more about mortgages.
- HUD: The official website of the US Department of Housing and Urban Development with a host of resources to help homeowners.
- Shopping or a Mortgage: The FTC provides excellent information on how to look for the best mortgages.
- Home Equity Lines of Credit: Consumer information from the FTC regarding HELOCs.
- Appliance Labeling: Discover more about the FTC’s Appliance Labeling Rule (Energy Star).
- Energy Expert: The US Energy Information Administration answers some of the most frequently asked questions about energy.
- Energy-Saving Tips: See how you can be energy smart.
- Consumer Energy Information: The page shows how consumers can shop for appliances with the Energy Guide Label.
- Cooling Your Home: Learn how to make your home cooler with fans and ventilation.
- Energy Star Home Improvement: Almost everything you need to improve energy efficiency in the home.
- Glossary: A comprehensive glossary of energy terms.
- Residential Natural Gas: The Energy Information Administration provides information about prices of residential natural gas.
- Backyard Conservation: The Natural Resources Conservation Service offers news, programs, technical resources, and more.
- Environmental Agents: Learn more about such agents like arsenic, asbestos, chemicals, hazardous waste, lead, poison, and others.
- Green Home: Creating a green home is the first step to a healthy home.
- Lead Poisoning: The CDC offers prevention tips, publications, policy resources, programs, and more.
- Pesticides: The page provides a good overview of pesticides.
- Pesticide Poisoning: Learn about the symptoms of insecticide poisoning.
- Pesticide Protection: The EPA's page about protecting children from pesticide poisoning.
- Mosquito Control: A good place to learn about mosquito control.
- Do's and Don'ts of Pest Control: The EPA's page that provies brief information on pest control.
- Home Improvements: The HUD offers information on federal loan programs, community-based programs, and consumer information for home improvements.
- Home Improvement Guide: The FTC's guide for home improvement.
- Home Improvement Incentive: An explanation on the Rural Repair and Rehabilitation program which provides loans and grants for rural development.
- Home Improvement Fraud: Find out all about home improvement fraud.
- Protect Your Move: The Federal Motor Carrier Administration offers a lot of information for people who are moving.
- Recalls: The government’s recall website for consumer products, motor vehicles, boats, food, medicine, and more.
- Recalls & Product Safety: The CPSC provides news on recalls and product safety.
- Report Unsafe Products: Learn how you can report unsafe products.
- Air Now: Come here to find out about conditions and forecasts of local air quality.
- Carbon Monoxide: The EPA highlights the dangers of carbon monoxide.
- Electrical Safety: Learn about electrical safety in the home.
- Fire Safety: Learn about home fires and how to prevent them.
- Mold: Read this info to protect yourself from mold.
- Household Chemical Emergency: Instructions on how to prevent and handle household chemicals.
- Lead Poisoning: The CDC's site about lead poisoning.
- Radon & Cancer: The National Cancer Institute answers frequently asked questions about radon and cancer.
- Reducing Radon Risks: The EPA's site about Radon risks and Radon protection.
- HUD - US Department of Housing and Urban Development
- CPSC - US Consumer Product Safety Commission
- USFA - US Fire Administration
- EPA - United States Environmental Protection Agency
- FCC - Federal Trade Commission
- OVC - Office for Victims of Crime
- NOAA- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- FEMA - Federal Emergency Management Agency
- FTC - Federal Trade Commission
- DOE - Department of Energy
- EIA - US Energy Information Administration
- USDA - United States Department of Agriculture