Home Mortgage Calculator
Our free Home Mortgage Calculator for Excel is a powerful all-in-one worksheet that combines many of the features from our other mortgage and loan calculators. It lets you analyze a variable-rate mortgage or fixed-rate mortgage, and figure out how much you can save by making extra payments.
It helps you estimate the full mortgage payment (including insurance and interest), but if you want to estimate other monthly expenses of owning a home, you can try our Home Expense Calculator. Check out our other mortgage spreadsheets as well, and let us know if you are need something that we don't have.
Home Mortgage Calculatorfor Excel
Using Goal Seek
(not for distribution or resale)
To obtain a commercial use license, purchase the Vertex42 Loan Amortization Schedule. This mortgage calculator is included as one of the bonus spreadsheets.
"No installation, no macros - just a simple spreadsheet" - by Jon Wittwer
This Excel spreadsheet is an all-in-one home mortgage calculator. It lets you analyze a fixed or variable rate home mortgage. You can set up periodic extra payments, or add additional payments manually within the Payment Schedule. Use the spreadsheet to compare different term lengths, rates, loan amounts, and the savings from making extra payments. It also calculates the outstanding balance at the end of a specified number of years and the tax returned if the interest paid is tax deductible.
Older Version 1.3: screenshot
Using this Home Mortgage Calculator
Information about how to use our free home mortgage calculator and definitions of some of the terms are included as cell comments in the spreadsheet. So, if you have questions, you can hover the mouse cursor over any cell that has a little red triangle in the corner.
This mortgage calculator can help you answer some of the following questions:
- How much can I save by making extra payments?
- How does the tax deduction from paying interest change over time?
- How much might my monthly payment change over time if I have a variable-rate mortgage?
- How soon could I pay off my home if I make extra payments?
- What will my loan balance be at the end of 3 or 5 years?
New Features of our Home Mortgage Calculator
- Estimates Property Taxes and Insurance for calculation of the PITI payment.
- Automatically calculates so-called "Accelerated Bi-Weekly" payments.
- Works for both US and Canadian mortgages (via the compounding option).
- Highly flexible extra payment options.
- Select a fixed-rate or variable rate mortage.
Note: This mortgage calculator does NOT work for so-called "simple interest mortgages" - you'll need to try our Simple Interest Mortgage Calculator instead. It also doesn't work for interest-only mortgages. For that option, check out our new Interest-Only Mortgage Calculator.
References & Resources
- Government Resources for Homeowners at Vertex42.com - Links to authorative information for home buying, mortgages, etc.
- Mortgage Loan at Wikipedia.org
- Home Mortgage Calculator at Bankrate.com - For an online mortgage calculator, this is a pretty good one.
- Using a Calculator to Prepay ARM at mtgprofessor.com - Explains what happens if you make extra payments with an adjustable-rate mortgage.
- Home Equity Lines of Credit at FederalReserve.gov - an excellent read!