Home Mortgage Calculator
Our free Home Mortgage Calculator for Excel is a powerful all-in-one worksheet that combines many of the features from our other mortgage and loan calculators. This calculator actually has more features related to making extra payments than our original Extra Payment Mortgage Calculator. If you just want to analyze a variable-rate mortgage, you may want to try our ARM Calculator. If you want to analyze a fixed-rate mortgage, you can also use our Home Equity Loan Calculator, which allows you to estimate the equity in your home over time if you have more than one mortgage. If you want to estimate the monthly expenses of owning a home, try our Home Expense Calculator.
We Want Your Feedback: Please let us know what you think of this calculator! We want to make it as user-friendly as possible, and to do that, we need your feedback. Please contact us and let us know what you like or dislike about it. Please place "Home Mortgage Calculator" in the subject line of your email.
Home Mortgage Calculatorfor Excel
Contents: .XLS (Excel 2003+)
Size: ~300KB, V 2.0
Microsoft Excel® 2002(XP) or Later
Personal Use Only
To obtain a commercial use license, purchase the Vertex42 Loan Amortization Schedule. This mortgage calculator is included as one of the bonus spreadsheets.
Contact Us >
Visit Support Page >
How to Extract a ZIP File >
This Excel spreadsheet is an all-in-one home mortgage calculator. It lets you analyze a fixed or variable rate home mortgage. You can set up periodic extra payments, or add additional payments manually within the Payment Schedule. Use the spreadsheet to compare different term lengths, rates, loan amounts, and the savings from making extra payments. It also calculates the outstanding balance at the end of a specified number of years and the tax returned if the interest paid is tax deductible.
"No Installation, No Macros - Just a simple spreadsheet - An original creation by Dr. Jon Wittwer of Vertex42.com"
Older Version 1.3: screenshot
Rate and Review the Home Mortgage Calculator
To view and write reviews, click on the button below.
Using this Home Mortgage Calculator
Information about how to use our free home mortgage calculator and definitions of some of the terms are included as cell comments in the spreadsheet. So, if you have questions, you can hover the mouse cursor over any cell that has a little red triangle in the corner.
This mortgage calculator can help you answer some of the following questions:
- How much can I save by making extra payments?
- How does the tax deduction from paying interest change over time?
- How much might my monthly payment change over time if I have a variable-rate mortgage?
- How soon could I pay off my home if I make extra payments?
- What will my loan balance be at the end of 3 or 5 years?
New Features of our Home Mortgage Calculator
- Estimates Property Taxes and Insurance for calculation of the PITI payment.
- Automatically calculates so-called "Accelerated Bi-Weekly" payments.
- Works for both US and Canadian mortgages (via the compounding option).
- Highly flexible extra payment options.
- Select a fixed-rate or variable rate mortage.
Note: This mortgage calculator does NOT work for so-called "simple interest mortgages" - you'll need to try our Simple Interest Mortgage Calculator instead. It also doesn't work for interest-only mortgages. For that option, check out our new Interest-Only Mortgage Calculator.
References & Resources
- Government Resources for Homeowners at Vertex42.com - Links to authorative information for home buying, mortgages, etc.
- Mortgage Loan at Wikipedia.org
- Home Mortgage Calculator at Bankrate.com - For an online mortgage calculator, this is a pretty good one.
- Using a Calculator to Prepay ARM at mtgprofessor.com - Explains what happens if you make extra payments with an adjustable-rate mortgage.
- Home Equity Lines of Credit at FederalReserve.gov - an excellent read!