Free Invoice Template for Excel
Vertex42's free invoice template for Excel is a perfect budget-friendly solution for service companies, consultants, and freelancers. You need an invoice that will make your business look professional and is easy to use. That is our specialty. We have many invoices to choose from, so if the download on this page isn't what you need, browse our other invoice templates or tell us what you need.
We designed our free invoice template to be compatible with nearly every spreadsheet program. It works with Google Spreadsheets, OpenOffice, and all versions of Excel. The Service Invoice form for Google Sheets, based on our original Excel invoice, is one of the most popular templates in the entire Google Templates gallery.
Free Invoice Templatefor Excel, OpenOffice, and Google Sheets
This spreadsheet can be used as a very simple small business invoice system. You can bill for specific items or by the hour. The "Taxed" column lets you easily mark whether sales tax should be applied to a line item. This means that you can include charges for parts and other physical goods. (See your local and state laws to check on rules for taxation of labor and goods sold.)
If you need to provides quotes to your customer, you can use our quote template, which is based on the same design as this invoice.
4/10/2014 Update: The latest update for Excel 2007+ includes a second worksheet tab with an invoice design that lets you add unit cost and quantity to calculate the amount for each item.
Older 2003 Version
The Excel 2003 version contains multiple sample invoices on separate worksheet tabs. They all include the same basic features and layout, except that three of them allow you to enter a Unit Cost and Quantity for each item. The variations are mostly just different formatting (fonts and colors). The formats include our original classic design and a couple more ink-friendly forms (two of these are shown in the preview images to the left).
- This invoice spreadsheet uses conditional formatting to highlight every other row in the table. That helps make the table easier to read.
- If you need more rows, just insert the rows below the first item or above the last item. If you do that, you should probably check the Subtotal and Taxable formulas to make sure that the totals reference the correct rows.
More Invoice Templates for Excel
Managing Your Invoices
If you need help with invoice management (keeping track of your invoices), read our Small Business Invoicing article. Unless you create and send a large number of invoices each month, you may not need expensive or complicated invoice software. Our article outlines some basic file management techniques that you can use to manage invoices created using Excel.
Preprinted Invoice Forms on Carbonless Paper
If you are looking for pre-printed invoice forms because you want to use the white-yellow-pink carbonless forms, you don't have to settle for what you find at an office supply store.
You can use a template like the one above and customize your own invoice form with your own logo, company information, and terms and conditions, etc. Then, you can have the customized form printed by a professional printing company.
Invoice Templates for Word
A note about using an invoice template for Word: Invoices include calculations, and that is why you should use a spreadsheet. If you use an invoice form created in Word, you have to use your own calculator to figure out the totals. Of course, if all you are doing is designing a blank invoice form to be printed, Word may be fine.
Other Free Invoice Templates
- Microsoft's Office.com - Provides some invoices for Excel and Word. The Microsoft gallery often requires that you have the latest version of Excel, so that may not be a great solution if you want a general invoice that can be opened by everyone in your company.
- Google Docs - This is a list of the most used invoice templates in the Google Docs gallery.
- skynova.com - This site provides a nicely formatted online invoice that can be printed or converted to a PDF with a free trial account.