Timesheet Template for Excel
If you need a quick and easy time sheet solution for your new business, start by downloading a free timesheet template for Excel, professionally designed by Dr. Wittwer of Vertex42.com. The timesheet on this page is perhaps the simplest of our three main types of timesheets and timecards. If you want to record clock in/out times, try our Timesheet Template with Breaks, or if you want to keep track of hours based on projects, try the Timecard template. If you're interested in having your employees use printable time sheets, you will find that Vertex42's templates work nicely.
Related Timesheet Templates by Vertex42
Excel Timesheet Templatefor Microsoft Excel, OpenOffice, & Google Docs
Excel 2010 Version
Download this simple timesheet template for your small business. There are actually 4 separate versions of the timesheet, each on a separate worksheet tab. They include a weekly and biweekly version, as well as the options of using either decimal values or [h]:mm format for recording hours.
In this time sheet template, you can assign a separate pay rate for regular hours and overtime hours. Keep in mind that an overtime rate is usually only granted for hours worked beyond 40 hours per week. If all you need is a way to keep track of hours, you can just delete the rows that contain the wage and pay information.
"No Installation, No Macros - Just a simple spreadsheet - An original creation by Dr. Jon Wittwer of Vertex42.com"
How to Use a Timesheet Template in Your Business - Share your experience and give feedback.
Rate and Review this Timesheet Template
To view and write reviews, click on the button below.
How to Turn this Template into an Online Timesheet Solution
I designed this spreadsheet to work in Google Docs, so if you are looking for a web-based timesheet or online timesheet solution, here is a free solution to consider:
- Upload the timesheet to Google Docs (or use the version I've already added to the gallery here)
- Share the file with your employee
- Have your employee update the spreadsheet within Google Docs throughout the week
Note: It is a violation of copyright to share the timesheet publicly, or to add a copy to the Google Docs gallery, but sharing it with an employee is perfectly fine.
For Employers: The system you use to report and record the hours is up to you. It could involve printing a copy of the spreadsheet or having the employee export a copy of the completed timesheet and email it to you. Or, you could simply log into Google Docs, look at the completed time sheets, and record the hours in your payroll spreadsheet. The policy that I use is that after the timesheet has been reviewed, I save a copy (exported to an Excel file that I save on my computer), and then clear out the hours and update the date in the Week Of field. That is the signal to the employee that the timesheet is ready to be updated for the next pay period.
More Timesheet Templates
- Timesheet Template with Breaks - Track your clock-in and clock-out times. Weekly or biweekly.
- Time Card / Project Timesheet (weekly) - This template lets you record hours based on projects and tasks.
Other Free Excel Timesheet Templates
Another place to find a free timesheet template is Microsoft's very own directory of free Office templates. They offer templates in Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, and of course Excel. Browse for timesheet templates at Microsoft. You may be able to find an employee timesheet or payroll timesheet to suit your needs.
Timesheet Software for Multiple Employees and/or Projects
An employer normally needs to keep track of the hours worked for multiple employees. One of the simple (and free) ways to do that is to use our Payroll Spreadsheet in combination with the timesheet template. In addition to storing the employee payroll information, the register will let you record the hours worked by each employee for each pay period.
If you are a manager, you might also want to check out the advanced Excel timesheet template available at Ozgrid.com.
- 4/16/2013: Effective Time Management Can Go A Long Way to Better Health - Workplace stress is a serious concern when employees are continually too sick to work. Management should institute better time management protocol to keep worker stress levels low and enthusiasm for the job high.
- 4/8/2013: Employee Attendance Crucial to Overall Productivity - Employees that are not consistent in the work attendance can throw the balance of the entire workplace off and significantly impact the overall productivity which often results in loss profits and low employee morale.
- 4/2/2013: Businesses Are Remiss If Not Using Timesheets - Simple paper time sheets can go a long way to increase the productivity and earning potential for business of any size. Without truly recognizing how much time is spent on particular projects, managers and business owners are at a disadvantage when it comes to invoicing for work being performed.