Free Invoice Template for Excel
Vertex42's free invoice template for Excel is a perfect budget-friendly solution for service companies, consultants, and freelancers. You need an invoice that will make your business look professional and is easy to use. That is our specialty. If the free invoice on this page is not exactly what you need, we have many other invoices to choose from. Check out our service, sales, and pro forma invoices.
We designed our free invoice template to be compatible with nearly every spreadsheet program. It works with Google Spreadsheets, OpenOffice, and all versions of Excel. The Service Invoice form for Google Docs, based on our original Excel invoice, is one of the most popular templates in the entire Google Docs gallery.
Free Invoice Templatefor Excel, OpenOffice, and Google Docs
(not for distribution or resale)
"No installation, no macros - just a simple spreadsheet" - by Jon Wittwer
This spreadsheet was created from my first service invoice form. It can be used as a very simple small business invoice system. You can bill for specific items or by the hour. The new "Taxed" column lets you easily mark whether sales tax should be applied to a line item. This means that you can include charges for parts and other physical goods. (See your local and state laws to check on rules for taxation of labor and goods sold.)
3 Invoice Templates in 1: The Excel file contains 3 sample invoiceds on separate worksheet tabs. They all include the same basic features and layout. But, now you have a few more invoice formats to choose from. The formats include our original classic design and a couple more ink-friendly forms.
- This invoice spreadsheet uses conditional formatting to highlight every other item in the table. That helps make the table easier to read.
- If you need more rows, just insert the rows below the first item or above the last item. If you do that, you should probably check the Subtotal and Taxable formulas to make sure that the totals reference the correct rows.
11/10/2011 Update - There are now 3 more worksheets where the Amount is calculated by entering a Unit Cost and a Quantity.
Managing Your Invoices
If you need help with invoice management (keeping track of your invoices), read our Small Business Invoicing article. Unless you create and send a large number of invoices each month, you may not need expensive or complicated invoice software. Our article outlines some basic file management techniques that you can use to manage invoices created using Excel.
For large companies and businesses that send out invoices frequently and have many clients, online billing software may be an attractive option. But web-based invoicing software usually involves paying a monthly service fee. Billing and invoice software such as the popular QuickBooks Invoice Manager is reasonably priced. To compare invoice software to online invoicing, make sure that you consider both the cost of the initial purchase and the cost of updates over a multiple year period.
Of course, if you choose to use our free invoice template, you can get your business started on a shoe-string budget.
Preprinted Invoice Forms on Carbonless Paper
If you are looking for pre-printed invoice forms because you want to use the white-yellow-pink carbonless forms, you don't have to settle for what you find at an office supply store.
You can use a template like the one above and customize your own invoice form with your own logo, company information, and terms and conditions, etc. Then, you can have the customized form printed by a professional printing company.
More Invoice Templates / Sample Invoices
- Simple Invoice - This new invoice template uses two of our brand new theme designs.
- Service Invoice - For service providers who want to charge by the hour or maintain a customer list within the spreadsheet.
- Sales Invoice - Primarily for the sale and shipment of products. Invoice with or without a remittance slip. Maintain a price list within the spreadsheet.
Over the years we have created many types of small business forms. Many of them are directly related to this template. Our price quote template was created directly from the template on this page.
Check out our invoice category of templates. You will find many related templates to use in your business. For example, you can download a work order form, purchase order, billing statement, or rent receipt template.
Invoice Templates for Word
A note about using an invoice template for Word: Invoices involve calculations, and that's what make spreadsheets great. If you use a free invoice form created in Word, seriously consider using a spreadsheet instead. However, if all you are doing is designing an invoice form to be printed, Word may be fine.
Other Free Invoice Templates
Microsoft.com provides a large collection of Invoices for Excel, Word, and other file types. The problem is that the Microsoft gallery often requires that you have the latest version of Excel. That may not be a great solution if you want a general invoice that can be opened by everyone in your company.
- 12/1/2013: Contractor Invoicing Can Make or Break a Business - If you work as a contractor, it is important to ensure all invoices going out are an accurate reflection of the work completed. Without proper estimation of materials and time spent, contractors employed for themselves can end up out of business when profits are not coming in.
- 11/15/2013: Creative Services Can Create Difficulties in Invoicing - There are some service providers that can have difficulties putting the actual work done into a relatable invoice. Those working in a creative capacity may find it hard to narrow down the creative process to a description and a dollar amount. It will be important for creative business owners to contemplate the value of their time and invoice accordingly.
- 8/26/2013: Daycare Service Provides Should Be Creating Professional Invoices - If you earn an income as a child care provider, it will be important to keep track of the money coming in as well as the expenses going out to ensure you are making a sustainable profit. Don't neglect creating detailed invoices for child care services being provided. Customers will need them for tax deductions and your business will need them for necessary accounting purposes.